Saturday, April 25, 2009

Words and phrases that I like

During all my reading I come across new phrases or word connections that really make a connection for me. Sometimes it is the name of a process that I was unaware of - like "Open Space". Sometimes it is just a way of stating something - like "Collective Creativity" (Ed Catmull, Pixar Animation). I've decided to start saving them here. When I run across a new one I will come back and edit this post and add it.

These are the triggers that often start me down a path of exploration. Future blogs cover what I learn along the way.

  1. Open Space. Harrison Owen. A way of encouraging and supporting self-organizing.
  2. Appreciative Inquiry. Asset based assessment.
  3. Collective Creativity. Ed Catmull. A continuous process of small and constant change involving a large number of diverse people working together to respond to multiple opportunities.
  4. Systemic inventive thinking. Genrich Altschuller. Brainstorming doesn't work because people withhold their best ideas. Instead, break down successful products and processes into components, study the parts and find other potential uses.
  5. Open Innovation. Authentically involving all aspects of an organization in the innovation process and ensuring that the process is shared in an open and accessible way.
  6. Disruptive uncertainty. Jeanne Liedtke. Organizations deal with disruptive uncertainty to a large extent through collaboration - collaboration among organizations.
  7. Black Swans. Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Unanticipated events.
  8. Disruptive innovation. Dr. Clayton Christensen. A business model that brings to market a much more affordable product or service that is much simpler to use.
  9. Predictably irrational (Dan Ariely)
  10. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment